Decorating DIY

Filed under: Home and Garden — joy at 9:11 am on Thursday, March 6, 2008

Since I bought a dishwasher this month (!), I ran out of re-modeling money–and what money I have left must be spent on plants for my garden–so I resorted to making the things that will decorate my house.

For example, I made another pillow. This time, it’s a tube pillow for my office chair. I didn’t really know how to make a tube pillow, so I kind of winged it, but it seems to have worked out:

The fabric is from some upholstery samples I have had lying around for awhile. (My chair is missing one of its buttons because it is a thrift store find and I haven’t gotten around to fixing it.)

I also made a clock for my living room. Well, Kyle helped a little. We drilled a hole in a plastic plate from Target and put the clock mechanism through it.

I am especially pleased with this one because I hated all the clocks I saw in the store. There are some ugly clocks out there, people.

7 Comments »

Comment by Justin

March 6, 2008 @ 9:20 am

Nice clock. I’m curious what it’d look like with white hands.

Comment by Jen

March 6, 2008 @ 9:38 am

Love the clock. And keep the brass hands. The brass is elegant; white would like you were trying too hard to match.

Comment by Stephanie

March 6, 2008 @ 10:38 am

Love the clock too!! I’ve been wanting to make one for the bathroom for a while… where did you get the mechanism?

Comment by Leona

March 6, 2008 @ 8:43 pm

I am loving the pillows and the clock! I have wanted to buy those plates at Target because I like them so much, but I just do not need them.

Comment by Joy

March 7, 2008 @ 9:02 am

Thanks people! I’m glad you like them. I thought about doing white hands, but agree that brass looks more elegant, as you said, Jen. However, I’m not sure I made the right decision–I may spray-paint them white after all.

The plate was $2 from Target. (Splurge, Leona!) I was going to take apart a clock I had for the mechanism, but the hands were black and black-on-black would be too hard to read. So I bought the mechanism from a craft store.

I still plan to take the black hands and make another clock out of a different plate I have. I’ll put a picture of it up when I get around to it.

Comment by Krista

March 10, 2008 @ 3:15 pm

I agree with you about the white. It will fit the plate nicely and the room as well. I very much lick the round pillow. I need some for my couch.

Comment by Ann

March 10, 2008 @ 7:34 pm

No! Brass looks better. Stick with the brass. Really.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI